Saturday, May 23, 2009

I ate sushi!!

I enjoyed the sushi that I had in the states when I was there, but I wanted to eat some authentic and fresh Japanese sushi. So Catherine, one of the JCMU students took a few students and myself to a sushi bar that she claimed to be very good. And the place we went to did not disappoint! It was a traditional restaurant setting with booths, but the catch was that there were conveyor belts going through the whole restaurant with the sushi on it! You can sit down and watch the sushi as it comes directly from the kitchen and passes you. And it is all on very small plates with two pieces of sushi on each one. Each piece is not that big, which is great for trying new things that you have never had before. Each plate costs 90 yen, which is just under 1 USD- so it was very reasonably priced as well. And fresh?!? It tasted like they were catching the fish in the back, and filleting them seconds before placing it on the conveyer belt! My favorites were tuna, salmon, and crab meat. But I really did not enjoy the fish eggs, sea weed, or fermented beans (really stinky!) All things considered, it was an experience that I'll never forget. And I think this is a type of business that could go very well in Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment